-->

Thursday, 1 August 2013

lesson learned: the perfect three


I have a vivid memory from fifteen years ago that I have never been able to shake. It's a simple memory, something that some people may be able to move on from and never think about again. But for me, it was a pivotal moment in my life.

We were having a street party on a beautiful summer day. I was eight-years-old, and enjoying a nice day with my friends where I didn't have to worry about traffic or coming home at a certain time. I remember feeling pure joy that day. I was happy. It had been a rough year of change, my mom was engaged, we were living with her fiance and his children, and I knew in my heart that this home, this life we had, it was not going to be forever. 

As an eight-year-old, I was great at living moment by moment. And that is exactly what I was doing.

I remember being at a house, music was blaring, and people were dancing. I don't remember my friends or my step-siblings being around. It was just me. Suddenly, a slow song started playing and lots of couples were on the floor. I scanned the floor and smiled at the happy couples, but then my eyes fell on one couple. And my heart skipped a beat.

A husband and wife were lovingly embracing, and their young daughter was dancing between them. The three of them were having so much fun; they were the perfect family. I just knew it. 

I immediately started running down the street. I ran as fast as I could. I ran towards my constant. My family. My mom. I embraced her and sobbed and told her what I saw. I have no idea what words I used or what I said. That moment is a blur. But I will never forget the emotion I felt when I saw that family dancing together. I will never forget the longing I felt, because that longing did not just go away. When the tears were wiped away and the day was done, that feeling remained. For many, many years.


What was the lesson in it all?

I will never forget that day, but the meaning today is very different. Here I am, many years later, and I am no longer on the outside looking in.

I have danced with my husband, our daughter between us. Vivid memories of that moment, watching that family, they were fresh in my mind. The memory gives me comfort now. It was God's way to giving me a glimpse into my future. I just didn't know it.

Sometimes we feel pain, we experience hardship, and we don't know why. But our story isn't over. 


1 comment:

  1. This beautiful story made me tear up. What wonderful memories you are making with your family.

    ReplyDelete