-->

Thursday, 15 August 2013

august twitterature

You know that time is flying by when it feels like yesterday that you wrote a blog, but it was really a month ago! It's Twitterature time! You can find the mastermind behind this monthly series here.


This month was a really slow reading month (I guess every month will be until my kid's are grown and in school!)

1. Same Kind of Different as Me by Ron Hall and Denver Moore
This is an amazing book that can potentially (hopefully!) change the way that you view homelessness, compassion, and race. I loved it. The story is about a rich art dealer who befriends a hard-hearted homeless man, and the beautiful relationship that blossoms. A relationship that not only changes their lives, but the entire city too. Oh, and it's a true story.

2. The Avalon Ladies Scrapbooking Society by Darien Gee
This is total chick-lit. I loved the first half and then I started to get really bored. We have a lot going on and I might have just not been fully engaged in the story. I was determined to stick it out to the end of the story though, because I came to really like all of the characters. I'm hesitant to recommend this unless you love scrapbooking.

3. The Honest Life by Jessica Alba
I was so excited when I heard that Jessica Alba was coming out with a book. I love reading books by famous people, even if I am often disappointed! All my high hopes were met with The Honest Life. I think this is my favourite book on natural living. Alba is very sincere and down-to-earth, and I feel like she makes natural and organic living fairly simple. This is a great resource and I'm planning on asking for the book as a birthday gift for myself (all the books I read are from the library).


Some books I started but couldn't finish:
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
The Twelve Tribes of Hattie by Ayana Matthis
The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick

I feel pretty terrible that my three unfinished books are bestsellers with great reviews, but I just wasn't feeling any of them. I read fifty pages of Gone Girl and was bored, flipped to the end and read the last fifty pages. so thankful I didn't waste my time reading it. Worst ending ever. Who liked this book? What am I missing here?

Lately I have been watching tons of great movies, maybe next month I'll skip this post and recommend my favourite films of the month!

7 comments:

  1. I hated Gone Girl! That ending bothered me so much--I spent days trying to come up with an alternate ending that would make sense, but then I realized that these despicable characters deserved their ending! Once I realized that I really disliked the characters, I felt better about just walking away from it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good! we felt the same way! lol! and yes I hate reading books about unlikeable characters. you want to spend hours with people you like, not people you don't like! lol!!

      Delete
  2. I made the mistake of reading Same Kind of Different as Me *weeks* after I had a baby. I was postpartum and hormonal and BAWLED my way through it. It's a great book, but I should have read it at a steadier time. :)

    Completely agree about Gone Girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that would be a tough read for that stage in your life!! Such a beautiful and convicting story though!

      and I feel better now about Gone Girl.

      Delete
  3. Hmmm, I actually liked Gone Girl. I couldn't put it down and finished it in about 3 days. I've read some people had a rough time getting into it, but I think it worked for me because I was very skeptical of the diary segments from the get-go. I liked the ending because I think, as Meg said above, they deserved it. Then again, my parents are therapists so I am somewhat fascinated by people who are dysfunctional. Or maybe I'm just weird...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that is such an interesting view point Maggie. Like I said above, when I read, I want to read about people I LIKE. So if the characters are annoying I usually can't finish the book, and that guy was VERY annoying. But I don't think you're weird. It was a popular book. I'm also not a "mystery" or "thriller" reader, and I only picked it up because of the rave reviews.

      Delete
  4. I liked Gone Girl because it was different. I liked the plot twists. I didn't like the ending either though.

    ReplyDelete