-->

Sunday, 12 May 2013

one year of motherhood

A year ago I remember my mom saying, "Penelope might not even be born by Mother's Day." I was shocked and replied, "She better be here! I've waited long enough to meet her, and I deserve to celebrate mother's day as a mother this year! 41 weeks of carrying this baby is long enough."

She would arrive three days late.

hello Penelope

I was sad that I didn't get to celebrate mother's day last year with my daughter. My husband bought me flowers, and said Happy Mother's Day to me. But it wasn't the same. I had never even held a newborn baby. I felt I didn't deserve a celebration.

Today I get to celebrate Mother's Day as a mother. I have a beautiful daughter who is just four-days shy of being 1-years-old. It's been a beautiful year.


I think back to the girl with the big belly, who had carried a little girl inside of her for 41-weeks, and I wish I could tell her.

You are a mother.
You've felt your baby kick.
You've heard your child's heart beat inside of you.
You've stayed up late at night with nausea, back pain, and every type of ailment possible.
Your child even has a name. Penelope. You call her that daily. You pray for her.

Go. Celebrate. Because you deserve it.

I guess this year is technically my first mother's day. But, not really. This past year I have sacrificed, I have loved, I have laughed and fallen madly in love. I have enjoyed my daughter and rejoiced over her.

finally. I've waited for this moment long enough!

But really, I've been doing this for twenty months. I've loved my daughter from the moment I knew I had a little life inside of me. And I'll love her more and more each day, for the rest of my life.

Happy Mother's Day to all the Moms out there. Whether your baby is in your arms, inside of your belly, or in the arms of Jesus. You deserve this day. 

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your first year of motherhood! It's the best 'job' in the world! :)

    ReplyDelete