-->

Monday, 13 May 2013

no spend week [day one]

The month of May has been a whirlwind, and extremely expensive.

Our two year anniversary: we went to a B&B for the night
Penelope's first birthday: we had a big birthday party for her..even though her birthday isn't until the 16th!
Mother's Day: Daniel ordered me an ESV journaling Bible... I have wanted one for a really long time!
A week off of work: Daniel was off work, which means we spent more money than usual going out and having fun!

I decided a few days ago that we'd do a no spend week this week. We've tried in the past and failed, but I am determined this time. This week we can spend money on:
>> gas, but we will be limiting driving
>> whole milk, for Penelope
>> emergency produce when we run out

We are pretty much starting with an empty fridge, since we haven't gone grocery shopping in a few days. I am determined to be as creative as possible and clean out my freezer and pantry before I give in and go grocery shopping.

As a side note, today Daniel got a speeding ticket for $40 today. Not exactly a good start to our no-spend week! Oh well.

Lessons Learned: 
Don't let yourself get hungry! I ate a really small pathetic lunch today and felt hungry and dizzy all day. I needed to be more prepared and make something better for lunch, because I have the ingredients to do it! We started making dinner really late tonight too and it won't be ready until 6:30. Needless to say, I'm pretty hungry.

Bake:
I'm hoping to bake a banana bread tonight and some fresh bread tomorrow. I know that if I have some baked goods around for snacking I'll feel like I have something to quickly grab and eat.

Stop looking in the fridge:
My husband keeps opening the fridge and closing it, and belly-aching that we have no food. We might not have convenient food, but we have plenty of ingredients to make some yummy foods.

Get outside:
Today was nice and relaxing, but both Pen and I were pretty bored because we've been used to going out so much lately. I'm going to try to make plans to go for fun walks and just get out each day. There is plenty to do that doesn't require us to spend money!

I'm curious, have you ever done a no-spend week? Do you have any tips?

5 comments:

  1. This is very inspiring to me! I don't think my hubby and I could do this - but one thing I do think I could do like you, is empty our cupboards/freezer of food before going grocery shopping. Trying to be creative with dinners can be tough when you are busy and tired, but it is also kind of fun :). Maybe I will try that this week as well! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way - this website might help you with ideas of what to make while trying to finish the food you have: http://www.myfridgefood.com/index.php

    It lets you put in whatever it is you have, and gives you recipes for what you could make with those ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh I need to check that out for sure...especially this week! thank you so much for sharing that!!!

      and yeah it will be an intense week but we ate well tonight. yummy homemade mac n cheese and banana bread is baking right now...so Day 1 was a success!! :) It is tough but it saves lots of money! I hope to do it every other month...

      Delete
  3. I'm definitely interested in what meals you make. I think that's one of the hardest things in a no spend challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Carrie...I will let you know what we eat in future posts! Yesterday I had toast and cereal for breakfast, couscous with grilled veggies for lunch, and for dinner healthy mac n' cheese (the beauty of mac n cheese is that you can add/substitute sooo easily and measurements don't need to be exact). I also made banana bread with whole wheat flour and only 1 banana. It turned out okay...but it's food and I had a slice for breakfast this morning!

      Delete