-->

Monday, 27 May 2013

hey world, you don't know a thing about beauty

Today I was watching TV, and a commercial came on featuring Jennifer Aniston. I love that girl.

But then she started talking about this product she was endorsing. The product helps to reduce brown spots on your skin, which I am assuming is a product of aging, as I have never experienced this personally. Aniston ends the commercial by basically saying, "you need to try this product, because you're more beautiful without spots."

Wait a minute here. Shouldn't I be used to this by now? Use _____ product.

Because you're more beautiful without cellulite.
Because you're more beautiful without scars.
Because you're more beautiful without stretch marks.
Because you're more beautiful when you're not a bald man.
Because you're more beautiful without crows feet.
Because you're more beautiful with less flab.
Because you're more beautiful when your hair is brown/blonde/red, and voluminous.

But don't worry. The results are natural. You are just naturally more beautiful. You are still you, but a better version.

And we wonder why our 10-year-olds are going on diets, or why teen girls are prone to eating disorders, or why the thigh gap is an actual social media trend.

The sad reality is that many of us buy into this. I dare say most of us do. I feel it myself. There ain't no thigh gap on this girl, and that stings a little. I favour "flowy" shirts, because it covers the excess skin I have on my belly. From, you know, birthing an eight pound nine ounce baby out of my body. I get excited when my arms are more tanned in the summer, because they look more toned, and I don't have to worry so much about the jiggle.

The list goes on. Of things I worry about, pay attention to, focus on, when really...I know the world knows nothing.

The world is full of lies. It knows nothing about beauty. Do you really want to know what is beautiful?

That elderly couple walking down the road holding hands. They've lived through a life-time of joy, hurt, tribulation, and triumph. Brown spots over their bodies, but they don't care. They've never bought anti-aging cream or had botox injections. They are the real deal.

That little girl is beautiful too. You know, the one with the round belly? Her mom feeds her organic apples every day, and she loves to jump rope and dance. But still, she's a child, and there is evidence that she is well fed and healthy. She is beautiful.

You are beautiful too. And so am I. Me, with my purple stretch marks and my kissing thighs. You, with whatever ails you. Our God knit each of us in our mother's wombs. He created us, and we are each a masterpiece. We are the real deal. Sans age defying serums, and scary surgeries, and cancer causing tanning beds.

We are most beautiful when we're true to ourselves. True to who we were created to be. Authentic. Raw. Brown spots and all.


2 comments:

  1. This is a lovely post, Brianna. I recently had the chance to celebrate my grandparents' 60th anniversary. There is little I've seen that is more beautiful than their faces as they celebrated and looked at all their grandkids and two great-grandsons.

    Wow, I had no idea "thigh gap" was an actual thing...? I don't think I've had one since I was about 10 years old; it's so not my body type. The scary thing is you can't really achieve that by exercise (as your thighs will grow muscle), so it has to be done through extreme dieting. (No judgment at all on those who are naturally skinny and have a thigh gap; it's just not an ideal that is achievable for everyone.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah it's strange I never knew about it until yesterday! I for sure don't have that and never will lol!! And yes I think some women will naturally have it, but to actually try to "achieve" it is sad and scary.

      Delete