-->

Friday, 12 April 2013

remember the time I put pink in my hair?

I have been feeling pretty "blah" about my physical appearance since about September 7, 2011 (which happens to be the day that I found out I was pregnant). I think twenty months is long enough to put yourself on the back burner, so I finally made an appointment to get my hair highlighted and cut. It was an expensive three hour appointment, but so worth it.

When I was at the salon I got this crazy idea. What if I had a pink streak put in my hair? I asked my stylist and she was totally excited and on board (actually, she thought I wanted half my head pink, so once we corrected that little misunderstanding we were both in a good place.)

Putting a pink streak in my hair was absolutely a major and radical thing for me. I do not do things like that. I do not put foreign colours into my hair. I do not step out of my comfort zone. I definetly do not do things like this without consulting my husband (I know that sounds very 1950's, but I simply mean that we like talking about decisions first.)


The end result was awesome, in my opinion. Lots of people thing it's kind of silly and I can tell some don't like it at all, but I honestly don't care. My husband thinks it's hot and wants it to be my trademark. I think it's great and fun too.


I'm happy with my funky hair because it means I'm willing to try new things. I'm stepping out of my comfort zone and willing to risk something when I can't see the end result. Yes, it's a dumb pink streak that is barely visible, but maybe that pink streak will turn into me sharing my testimony in front of a group of women, or going to a pregnancy crises centre to provide support.

This splash of colour on my hair means that I'm ready to put some colour back into my world. I've been living in the greys for awhile, keeping it safe, doing the bare minimum in a lot of ways. I'm excited to colour the rest of my world.

What about you? Have you been doing anything lately out of the ordinary? Tell me about it!

4 comments:

  1. I love the pink streak! You're a hip mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! I've thought about highlighting my hair but never considered the color pink. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually hi-light my hair blonde (which is what I did), but I just put a small strand of pink in the back, it's not very visible! :)

      Delete